Norsk
Nyeste
Atrás

Blogger

Her kan du kommentere alle brukernes blogger

I love going to the movies. Other than the film itself, half of the experience is buying tickets, purchasing the popcorn, sitting down with the other people who came to the same place you did with one purpose: watching a movie. I try to go to the movies as much as I can, and even though the movie is a real piece of shit, the trip is usually worth it anyway. Also one of the reasons why I go to the movies so much is that I am constantly searching for the next big movie experience. An experience like this is usually when I see a perfect movie, a masterpiece, and combined with the delightful atmosphere of the cinema, this experience is just amazing. The biggest cinema experience I've ever had was when I saw "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" back in 2003, and the latest big experience I've had was back in 2008, when I saw "The Dark Knight", which not only delivered, it completely knocked me out on the floor. Since then, I've waited patiently for that next big experience. But movies have come and gone, without being that experience. I was optimistic that 2012 would be the year of the next experience, but films like "The Dark Knight Rises" and "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" disappointed me and ended up only being solid movies, but nothing special. When Quentin Tarantino announced his next project, an epic Western set during the slave period in America, it quickly became one of my most anticipated movies. I love the Wild West, I love Leonardo DiCaprio, I love Tarantino. It sounded like this might be it, and thankfully, it was. The next big movie experience eventually came, for the first time since 2008, at the hands of one on the most ingenious writers and directors in the business, Quentin Tarantino.

I am 17 years old. And when the news broke out that Django Unchained would receive a rare age certificate of 18, I was crushed. Could this mean that I wouldn't be able to see such a highly anticipated film at the movies? But I decided to purchase tickets and do my best to be regarded as an 18-year-old anyway. I took on a fine shirt and chinos and finished of with my trench coat (even though it was insanely cold outside). And in a very proud moment, I managed to walk past the ticket inspectors as easy as a drunk college girl. I sat down, and as I studied the audience, almost all of them were clearly over 20. I felt like I was the youngest in the audience, and that was kind of cool. And I thought to myself, "this is shaping up to be a pretty fantastic time at the movies, hope the movie delivers." And man, did it deliver.

Django Unchained takes place in 1858, in Southern America. At that time, slavery was a big problem, and black people were treated poorly and sold to rich white plantation-owners to work there against their will. One of these unfortunates is Django, who has been bought by the Speck brothers along with a group of other slaves. While being transported, the group is interrupted by the German former dentist turned bounty hunter King Schultz. He buys Django's freedom in exchange for his services: Schultz is looking after his next bounties: The three Brittle brothers, who Django has encountered before. Django later becomes Schultz' partner, and they agree to locate and free Django's wife, Broomhilda, from the sadistic Francophile Calvin Candie, owner of the plantation Candyland.

That's the basic gist of the plot of Django Unchained, which some might call a tad too simple, by Tarantino standards. There aren't a lot of characters in Django like in Inglourious Basterds, the plot doesn't go back and forth in time like Pulp Fiction, and it doesn't feature several plotlines, like Jackie Brown and the aforementioned films. This is, in all basicness, a Western, and a damn good one at that. The characters you spend time with are basically two; Django, played by Jamie Foxx, and King Schultz, played by Hans Lan....Christoph Waltz. Of course, you also got the main villain, Calvin Candie, brilliantly portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio, who is the films biggest scene-stealer. Also worth mentioning is his house-slave Stephen, played by the frequent Tarantino-collaborator Samuel L. Jackson, who basically plays the most stereotypical black man you'll ever see. But aside from a few other supporting roles, there isn't really that big group of characters like it usually is with a Tarantino movie. This is, aside from Death Proof and Reservoir Dogs, his most straight-forward film, but that doesn't matter, because the story is so compelling, the acting is so terrific, the dialogue is simply amazing, the action is insanely brutal and fun, and the soundtrack is extremely cool, as always.

In every Tarantino movie, the standout element for me is always the characters. From Jules in Pulp Fiction to Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, you can be sure to find some very original and cool characters in a Tarantino-piece. And naturally, this is the case in Django Unchained as well. The best is, like I've already mentioned, Calvin Candie, who is just so much fun to watch. He is sadistic, but charming nonetheless, and played to brilliance by Leonardo DiCaprio. I've never really seen DiCaprio in a role like this, and it was so delightful to see how good he was at it. He steals every scene he is in, and his lines are so perfectly written. Both unpredictable and a lot of fun, he is the standout character in the film. But that doesn't mean the others aren't great as well. Christoph Waltz delivers another amazing role as King Schultz. Waltz, along with Samuel L. Jackson, is probably the finest Tarantino collaborator we have, cause he makes the amazing dialogue truly his own and highlights all those cool-sounding words and ingenious formulations. It's the way he portrays characters like Schultz and Hans Landa that makes you truly realize how fantastic the dialogue really is, if you haven't realized it before. I sense that Waltz will appear in every Tarantino movie from now on, but that doesn't bother me, quite on the contrary in fact. Jamie Foxx was an excellent choice for the main role. Although DiCaprio and Waltz steal his thunder, he sill has plenty of funny and badass moments too, like the scene where he whips one of his former masters. It's brutal and vicious, but you end up being thoroughly happy for the former slave, who is given a chance at redemption. Samuel L. Jackson is just flat-out hilarious as the house slave Stephen - he utters the word "nigger" in just about every damn sentence, and not only Jackson likes that word - Tarantino must have had a goal to break the record for amount of times that word can be said in a movie. We're talking over a hundred times, definitely. So in conclusion - the performances in Django Unchained are great across the board, and the characters themselves are well written and a lot of fun, while still containing some depth as well.

But of course; nothing says Tarantino like fantastic dialogue. And yes, the script for this movie is just a stroke of genius. He balances the strong subject matter with plenty of humor, and it impressed me how you can make a movie about slavery and revenge so damn funny. Truth is, the dialogue between these characters is what makes this so incredibly humorous, and the funniest movie I've seen in years. You rarely get plain jokes thrown at you, it's all in the conversations. At one point, a group of whites are out to kill Django, sporting some hoodies very similar to the ones worn by the Ku Klux Klan. They argue about whether or not to actually use them, and the result is one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen. I nearly fell out my chair, I was laughing so much. The premise for this funny scene is so simple, but the execution is so well executed. When you think it's over, they just keep on going. That's brilliant writing. You also get lengthy dialogue-driven scenes like the terrific bar scene from Inglourious Basterds as well here, like a scene where Django and Schultz dine with Candie and his friends. It's an incredible scene, where you never know what's going to happen next. It's Tarantino's original and unpredictable way of writing that immerses you completely in his films, and in Django Unchained, he's done it again, even more effectively this time than before.

If it's one thing that Django Unchained celebrates, it's movie violence. We all know Quentin Tarantino has a real knack for bloody violence in his movie, and that is of course the case in this films as well. This is a really violent movie: the violence is ferocious, unrestrained, completely over-the-top and insanely bloody, and yet, it's so much fun to watch. Tarantino himself has said that he thinks violence in movies can be incredibly entertaining and fun, and the way he handles violence in his own films, makes me agree 100 percent. I've never had so much fun watching people getting shot like in Django Unchained. It's because it's so blown out of proportion, it takes it so far, and because it doesn't care about people getting offended by it. Many film-creators want to handle the violence in their movies as tastefully as possible, but Tarantino doesn't care. And to everyone who thinks movies like this should be banned because it's so bloody, who thinks it's offensive and so on, I say: Fuck you, it's a goddamn movie. You watch it to get entertained, and by god, you get entertained watching this. It's impossible not to. I mean, a woman gets blown fifty feet away by being shot once, literally. How can that not be considered funny?

Of course, there wouldn't be a Tarantino movie without a phenomenal soundtrack. Music plays perhaps the biggest role of all in his films, setting the mood for every scene and the movie itself. The intro for Pulp Fiction wouldn't be jack shit without "Misirlou". The opening titles of Reservoir Dogs wouldn't be half as cool without "Little Green Bag". The music in Tarantino's movies always is carefully selected, and used to great success, and Django Unchained is perhaps the most ambitious of his movies in terms of music. You see, earlier films use licensed music exclusively, and while Django still use that, we actually have a few original songs written specifically for the film here as well, with contributions by Rick Ross, John Legend and the great Ennio Morricone. The songs selected from other artists are great selections, like a mash-up of "The Payback" by James Brown and "Untouchable" by 2Pac called "Unchained", "I Got a Name" by Jim Croce and "Freedom" by Anthony Hamilton. All of the songs included are used very well, and fits the scene perfectly. Especially "I Got a Name", that is just beautifully used. And the opening titles are also amazing, due to that super-catchy title song, "Django". This is not an original piece, by the way: it's taken from the 1966 Western "Django", which naturally served as a huge inspiration for the movie.

I also have to applaud Tarantino on his directing style in Django Unchained as well - it's really cool and impressive. Some of my favorite shots include people getting zoomed in on abruptly - like the introduction to Calvin Candie. You see him, and the camera quickly zooms in on him. I've never really seen shots like that, but it's very cool nonetheless. And the cinematography as well is excellent - the locales used are fantastic, from the classic Western-landscaped used, to the snowy scenes during the winter and so on, your eyes are in for a treat in Django Unchained. I also liked the practical blood-effects - so many films use digital blood now a days, and it looks so stupid and corny. Kudos to Tarantino for knowing what kind of blood that looks cool.

(Continued in the comments section)
Emma Watson er skikkelig digg.
Is there something Tarantino could have improved upon with this movie? There is definately something, but this isn't really huge complaints - more like nit-picking because I feel I have to. Firstly, the character of Broomhilda, Django's wife, is a little underwritten and not really interesting. Tarantino knows how to write interesting female characters (Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill), but this girl didn't really do anything for me, she didn't come of as very relevant. Also, Tarantino himself has a cameo, and while we all know the man loves himself, the decision to make an appearance was not the smartest move. It's stupid. It looks so silly when he sits on a horse, it sounds awkward when he says "nigger" and it was just a really stupid, stupid cameo that was so pointless. He had fantastic small roles in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but somehow, it just didn't work this time. Many will complain about the movies length - at one point the movie feels like it's about to end, but goes on for another half-hour maybe. While this would be stupid and unnecessary, it does in the end pay off and it's worth it. That didn't bother me personally at all.

In conclusion, Django Unchained is a masterpiece. What makes it a masterpiece? The fantastic dialogue we've come to expect from a guy like Quentin Tarantino, the crazy violence, the wonderful characters, the brilliant performances, the fact that it's so damn funny and the sweet soundtrack. All of this combined with an atmosphere that truly put me in the mood right from the get-go make Django Unchained that next big movie experience I've waited so patiently for the last years, one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and the best film Tarantino has made since Pulp Fiction. It's not just a great movie, it's a shining example of how much fun violence in movies can be, it's a true testament to how dialogue-driven movies can be more entertaining than any action-driven extravaganza, it is a movie that shows how funny a movie can be if you've got the right amount of humor and if you push the violence up a notch - this is classic Tarantino, yet it's pulled of better than before and is ultimately more entertaining and better. It's funny; I think it's only one guy that could make a movie that includes scenes of such gratuitous violence, of such insane violence, and still get nominated for five Oscars. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is Quentin Tarantino. The most brilliant writer and director in the business. Django Unchained is one hell of a good time at the movies - one of the most superbly executed films I've seen in a long time and one of the most memorable films I've seen. On a scale of 1 through 10, I think Django Unchained is worthy of a perfect score - I give it a 10, becoming the twelfth movie to receive that score. Minor complaints aside, I really can't recommend this movie enough, and it's my pick for the best movie of 2012.
Jeg er enig i omtrent alt du skriver. Manuset er fantastisk, volden er morsom og ekstremt underholdende og rolleprestasjonene er sublime.

Men det er ikke en tier, etter min mening. Jeg synes ikke engang at den er blant de tre beste Tarantino - filmene. Jeg rangerer fortsatt Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds og Reservoir Dogs høyere enn Django Unchained.

Det jeg ikke liker med filmen, er egentlig bare flisespikkeri som greier å irritere meg grenseløst. Ta musikkutvalget for eksempel. Det var mye bra der, spesielt Django og Too Old To Die Young, men Ain't no grave er jeg så lei av og gangsterrapen synes jeg ikke hørte hjemme i det hele tatt, og den greide nesten å ødelegge en av de beste skytescenene jeg har sett. Spoiler poiler:Rett etter middagen der Django går helt berserk En annen ting jeg ikke likte var lyden av riflene under nevnte scene. Hva var poenget med å gi dem samme lyd som bomber? Og så har vi til slutt hvor lite involvert Broomhilda er i filmen og Tarantinos verste cameo noensinne. Hva tenkte han på?!

Fyldig inntrykk som vanlig, Predator. Jeg ser fram til den neste filmen du velger å skrive om.
Flmen var svært god, men Foxx sitt skuespill i noen få områder var subpar sammenlignet med tyskeren sin.
Who plays the most stereotypical black man you will ever see...

Thats a Samuel L Jackson guarantee right there
Skal se filmen på fredag! Gleder meg som en liten bastard!! I will be sure to check in and compare our thoughts later that night.
"I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go fuck yourself."
LesMiserable: Mine tre Tarantino-favoritter er Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained og Reservoir Dogs. Du stavet forresten Inglourious Basterds feil

Selv syntes jeg rappen funket utmerket til utskytningen, synes det ga det en liten edge i forhold til andre utskytninger på film - det gjorde at den stakk seg ut og gjorde scenen enda mer underholdende. Rifler på den tiden lagde jo litt mer lyd av seg enn nåtidens geværer, kan ikke si jeg ble irritert av det. Og ser ut til at vi er enige om Broomhilda og Tarantino's idiotiske cameo.

Blir nok en liten stund til neste tekst, kanskje jeg lager en topp 10-liste over beste filmer fra 2012 i forkant av Oscar-showet.

gilliankrueger: Han havner i skyggen av Waltz ja, men synes han imponerte likevel.

rageface: Absolutt.

Jack the Lack of Crack: Gleder meg til å se dine tanker
Siterer Predator:
LesMiserable: Mine tre Tarantino-favoritter er Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained og Reservoir Dogs. Du stavet forresten Inglourious Basterds feil

Jeg ser ingen skrivefeil.

Siterer Predator:
Rifler på den tiden lagde jo litt mer lyd av seg enn nåtidens geværer, kan ikke si jeg ble irritert av det.

Greit nok at de lager mer lyd, men når kulene høres ut som bomber som seiler gjennom luften og så treffer en kropp, så er det litt for mye.
Har ikke sett den enda, hadde tenkt helt til jeg fant ut at den var 18+. Så venter, gidder ikke å bli nektet inn på kino. Er ikke lenge til jeg er 18 uannsett så det går fint.
I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle
Veldig bra skrevet Predator Selv har jeg ikke sett filmen og gleder meg til jeg en gang får sjansen. Det eneste negative jeg har hørt er at filmen var litt lang.
Bernt Erik Sandnes/Spill er sunt - Intel i7 4960X, Gigabyte X79-UP4 hovedkort, Gigabyte HD7970 2GB GDDR5, 32GB Kingston Hyper X Beast, Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, BenQ XL2720Z LED Skjerm, Philips amBX, Cooler Master Cosmos SE kabinett.
Jeg gleder meg til å se denne filmen. Jeg er ingen utpreget fan av Tarantino, men han lager filmer med et helt distinkt uttrykk. Først likte jeg ikke ham i det hele tatt, etter å ha begynt i feil ende, kanskje. Inglourious Basterds og Reservoir Dogs fant jeg veldig skuffende. Men etter Kill Bill og Pulp Fiction, spesielt sistnevnte, fant jeg virkelig rom for å like Tarantino. De to filmene er mer gjennomførte og tro mot seg selv på flere måter. Det beste ved ham er replikkene som oser av personlighet.

Veldig godt skrevet.
                                   «Jeg prøvde å trøste meg med at jeg var et åndsmenneske»
Siterer Elektro Banana:
Har ikke sett den enda, hadde tenkt helt til jeg fant ut at den var 18+. Så venter, gidder ikke å bli nektet inn på kino. Er ikke lenge til jeg er 18 uannsett så det går fint.

Hvis du har veldig lyst til å se den, som meg, så hadde jeg bare prøvd uansett. Jeg tok sjansen, og kom inn. Kan hende det funker for deg og

Bernt: Tusen takk! Du bør se frem til den ja. Noen kan nok klage på lengden på 2 timer og 45 minutter, men for meg gjorde det ingenting.

remote: Min første Tarantino var Pulp Fiction, og det er jo den beste å starte med. Hva var det du ikke likte med Reservoir Dogs og Basterds? Reservoir Dogs synes jeg er nesten perfekt, kan ikke se noen spesielle feil med den.

Absolutt enig i at replikkene er det beste med en Tarantino-film, sammen med de originale karakterene. Den beste scenen i en film noensinne for meg er kanskje denne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIvUGUzR9N0

"You mind if I have some of this tasty beverage to wash it down with?" åhhh, det er så kult!

Siterer remote:
Veldig godt skrevet.

Tusen takk.
Jeg har ikke sett Django Unchanined enda, men ut fra de andre filmene jeg har sett av Tarantino vil jeg tippe at jeg synes Django Unchained vil havne på en 7 eller 8 av 10. Helhetlig synes jeg Tarantino er en relativt oppskrytt regissør, jeg plasser filmene hans litt lenger ned enn folk flest. Jeg er faktisk en større fan av filmene han har skrevet, slik som Natural Born Killers, True Romance og From Dusk Till Dawn.
he stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking
Har ikke sett Natural Born Killers, men er ikke det manuset ganske så heftig annerledes enn hans første draft? True Romance er genial, og det samme er From Dusk Till Dawn. Anbefaler deg å se Django nevertheless, tror kanskje denne kan appelere til deg likevel.
Samuel L. Jackson, stereotypical black man? Wat. Joda, han snakker og til en viss grad oppfører seg som det, men karakteren hans er jo på ingen måte en stereotyp. Det briljante med karakteren hans er jo måten han er den mest fargehatende karakteren i filmen, og hvordan Spoiler:han ender opp som filmens hovedskurk.

Ellers er jeg forsåvidt ganske enig med deg. Syns filmen var helt konge, har sett den to ganger allerede, og tieren er jeg helt enig i.
Kept you waiting, huh?
Jeg mener måten han snakker på, og måten han oppfører seg på. Spoiler:På hvilken måte blir han hovedskurken? Fordi han overlever lenger enn Candie? Ikke enig med deg der.
Det jeg likte mest med filmen, var musikken til slutt.
Siterer Predator:
Citerer Elektro Banana:Har ikke sett den enda, hadde tenkt helt til jeg fant ut at den var 18+. Så venter, gidder ikke å bli nektet inn på kino. Er ikke lenge til jeg er 18 uannsett så det går fint.

Hvis du har veldig lyst til å se den, som meg, så hadde jeg bare prøvd uansett. Jeg tok sjansen, og kom inn. Kan hende det funker for deg og

Bernt: Tusen takk! Du bør se frem til den ja. Noen kan nok klage på lengden på 2 timer og 45 minutter, men for meg gjorde det ingenting.

remote: Min første Tarantino var Pulp Fiction, og det er jo den beste å starte med. Hva var det du ikke likte med Reservoir Dogs og Basterds? Reservoir Dogs synes jeg er nesten perfekt, kan ikke se noen spesielle feil med den.

Absolutt enig i at replikkene er det beste med en Tarantino-film, sammen med de originale karakterene. Den beste scenen i en film noensinne for meg er kanskje denne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIvUGUzR9N0

"You mind if I have some of this tasty beverage to wash it down with?" åhhh, det er så kult!

Citerer remote:Veldig godt skrevet.

Tusen takk.

Joda ser den, men tenkte jeg skulle se den med noen venner, så orker ikke ta bussen til byen for å muligens blir rejected. Laster den ned og kjøper den på Blu-ray når den kommer. Må få sett an, men uannsett hvor mye jeg digger Tarantino så får jeg heller vente, 9 måneder til jeg er 18, klarer å vente
I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle
Jeppzki: Likte den godt selv.

Elektro Banana: Ser den.
Så filmen først i kveld, men fy faen så rå den var. Jeg stusset også over Tarantinos rolle, det føltes litt rart. Filmens lengde hadde jeg dog ingen problemer med, og det var etter min mening ingen scener som var overflødige og kunne/burde vært fjernet. Filmen var aldri kjedelig, og i motsetning til i f.eks Hobitten satt jeg godt tilbakelent og nøt hvert av de mange minuttene.

Som du sier er dialogen ekstremt viktig, og den gjennomføres i kjent Tarantino-stil meget godt. Du liker DiCaprio best i filmen, men for min del var det Waltz som presterte best - han har noe helt særegent over seg, og han passer og tolker rollene han får såpass godt at han lett kan hamle opp med de beste skuespillerene og deres prestasjoner. Tarantino og Waltz dyrker hans gode egenskaper som skuespiller så godt at det nesten smertet meg at Spoiler:hans rolle ikke lever helt frem til siste slutt. DiCaprio leverer også svært godt, og til tross for at Foxx gjør det godt havner han litt i skyggen. Forresten, hva var greia med at James Remar spilte både Speck og Buck Pooch? Trodde med en gang at det kom til å være noe som lå bak dette, men det var det altså ikke - det var to uavhengige karakterer som ikke hadde noen sammenheng. Nåvel. Alt i alt en fantastisk film, og det er lenge siden jeg har gått så fornøyd ut av kinosalen!
"I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go fuck yourself."
Spoiler:Hvem er det som avslører løgnen til Django og Schultz? Stephen. Hvem er det som oppfører seg verst mot Django og Broomhilda? Stephen. Hvem er det som sørger for at Django blir sendt til saltminene, for å pines langsomt til døde? Stephen. Hvem er det som til slutt ender opp som Djangos hevnoffer? Stephen.

I rest my case.
Kept you waiting, huh?
...The defence rests.
Siterer Dump Truck:
Spoiler

Spoiler:Stephen får for lite tid på skjermen, og han blir presentert som en håndlanger av Candie. Nuff said.
Siterer LesMiserable:
Citerer Dump Truck: spoiler

Spoiler:

Spoiler:Ja da, han blir presentert som håndlangeren, og jeg er enig i at det er Calvin Candie som i utgangspunktet er hovedskurken. Men hvis du tenker over det, hva er det han gjør mot Django og Schultz i filmen? Ikke mye.

Med unntak av scenen hvor han åpner hodeskallen til gamle Ben gjør han ikke hovepersonene mye vondt, selv om han helt tydelig er ondskapen selv. Stephen derimot, er roten til så godt som alt det negative som skjer hovedpersonene. Jeg er enig i at Candie rent teknisk sett er "bad guy'en", men på mange måter mener jeg det er Stephen som i det store og hele er den store skurken her.
Kept you waiting, huh?

For å diskutere må du være innlogget. Om du ikke er medlem ennå - bli medlem nå!